Volunteers are essential to the success of Good Shepherd Center and¬†help us to change the lives of homeless women and children in our community. We would love to have you join our team as a volunteer.
How to Volunteer
All volunteers are required to attend a volunteer orientation which is offered on a monthly basis. During the orientation you be given a brief history of GSC, the programs and services we offer, watch a short video, tour the facility, get an update on the most recent volunteer opportunities and have an opportunity to submit a volunteer application.¬† Please wear comfortable shoes; the tour takes 30-45 minutes.
Our next Volunteer Orientation will be:
Saturday, April 13 - CANCELLED
The Volunteer Orientation scheduled for April 13th is canceled.¬† We are in the process of making changes to our Volunteer Program and will not be accepting any new volunteers until further notice.
For those of you that have already registered, Annemarie, our Volunteer Cordinator, will contact you as soon as soon as we have a new Volunteer Orientation date.¬† We apologize for any inconvenience¬† and hope that you will be part of our volunteer team in the near future.
Volunteer Orientations are held at:
1650 Rockwood Street
Los Angeles¬† 90026
Please send a confirmation e-mail to Annemarie if you plan to attend.
Are you a Magician?!
We are looking for someone that loves children to come once a month to perform magic before an audience of young people.¬†
Know how to play the Piano?
We have children that would love to learn!
Join the Mobile Outreach Team
Assist Sr. Rosaline in the Outreach Van as she provides food, clothing and services to the women living on the streets of Los Angeles
On Tuesday, Thursday and Friday mornings, between 10am and 12pm, Sr. Rosaline drives the Outreach Van just west of downtown Los Angeles through the MacArthur and Lafayette Park areas.¬† She needs help giving the women on the streets food, clothing, blankets, a word of cheer and information on how they can leave the streets. Assisting Sr. Rosaline is a very popular request; therefore is often a one time volunteer opportunity.
Additional Volunteer Opportunities:
On a Regular Basis
- Assist with sorting clothing donations
- Help organize our clothing closet
- Help to organize the food pantry
- Answer phones at one of the shelters or offices
- Assist in the computer lab by teaching basic computer skills classes or serving as a computer lab monitor (not needed at this time)
- Provide activities for our children while the mothers attend a parenting or nutrition class (Tuesday , Wednesday & Thursday evenings).
- Assist with cleaning and organizing the toys in the children's area.
- Assist in The Village Kitchen (all aspects, including washing dishes).
- Beautifying the grounds in the areas surrounding our facilities (including watering and pulling weeds)
Ideas for School Children Who Need Community Service Projects
- Organize a food drive for our residents. The food needs to be sorted accordingly (i.e. dried beans and rice in one box, pastas in another, canned fruits in one bag, canned vegetables in another).¬† We are also in need of food to fill the cupboards in our food pantry and for our Mobile Outreach. Meats and cheeses are the greatest need here. They may be fresh or canned. ¬†
- Collect sample size toiletries for the Emergency Outreach Van that serves homeless women living on the streets
- Look on our website to see what some of our needs are and organize a drive, asking members of the community to contribute.
Opportunities to help out at special events and other activities may be available throughout the year. We also welcome additional ideas for volunteer activities that would be beneficial to our residents.
Click here to download more information about current volunteer opportunities